RODA is an open source digital repository specially designed for archives, with long-term preservation and authenticity as its primary objectives. Created by the Portuguese Directorate-General for the Portuguese Archives in partnership with the University of Minho, it was designed to support the most recent archival standards and become a trustworthy digital repository.
RODA embodies high level standards of security, scalability and usability. Its centralized architecture enables an easy management while the self-deposit ingest tools and workflow procedures account for the scalability of the human-resources.
RODA's main features are:
- Based on standards (OAIS, METS, EAD, PREMIS, etc.)
- Long-term Preservation and Authenticity
- TRAC compliant (Trustworthy Repositories Audit & Certification)
- Secure (SSL, fine grained permissions)
- Scalable (SOA)
- Clean web user interface and ingest desktop tool
- For archivists, for producers, for consumers
- Open source
A DEMO installation of RODA is now open to the general public at the URL: http://roda.di.uminho.pt
RODA, which has a bilingual Portuguese and English language, appears to be built on Fedora. A RODA ingest tool, RODA-in, is available for Windows or any Java-enabled platform under the Pre-Ingest menu. It does not appear as though the software itself is available for downloading.