National Archives sign at Kew Gardens Station

National Archives sign at Kew Gardens Station

2009-07-05

Green moth on green door, evolution in action?

For several years I've been watching the colors of moths outside my front door on the yellow wall of my house. Although I did not photograph it, one day in June 02009 I saw a distinctive yellow moth unlike the dark or white colored moths that usually rest on the wall and sometimes the door. On July 4, 02009 I was absolutely stunned to see a green moth at rest on my green front door. I had never noticed green moths before. I would like an explanation around this phenomenon. Is this truly evolution in action?

Here are two photos I took, one of the whole door with the moth barely visible resting on the bottom trim of the top panel and the other an extreme closeup. Click on each photo to see a larger version.

[caption id="attachment_2780" align="aligncenter" width="141" caption="Green moth on green door"]Green moth on green door[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2781" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Closeup of green moth on green door"]Closeup of green moth on green door[/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment